Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I Love You All The Same

Tonight when I put my eldest son to bed he asked me a question which I'm actually surprised he hasn't asked until now. He asked me who I loved more, him or his brother.

At first I answered with the typical mum response of "I love you both the same" but then I thought about it some more and told him that it wasn't possible to love him or his brother more. I told him that love is love and that you either love someone or you don't.

You can't love someone more than another person because love can't be measured and love is love. If it can be measured and put on a scale between loving someone a little bit and loving someone a lot then that isn't love. That is liking something or preferring something to another thing. Love is love, you either give it or you don't.

So for me it isn't even possible to love one of my children more than another. Yes you could have 'favourites' I guess and at times 'prefer' one child over another but you can never love one more than another because love isn't something that has varying degrees. Love is love. Your either in or your out.

In case your curious that answer did not satisfy my son. He was so much more confused then when he first asked the question. So I just said as simply as I could. Mum has one heart and one love. I love you all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment